Tavolara, Via Ferrata degli AngeliOn by
Tavolara Island immediately comes into sight as a large mountain in the middle of the sea. With its 565 mostly vertical meters (Punta Cannone) it rises predominantly in front of the Gulf of Olbia.
The ascent to its summit is a rather hard hike (EEA). There are two different climbing routes: the Classic Via Ferrata (less technical and more suitable for those with no previous experience in via ferrata [go to the page]) and the Via Ferrata degli Angeli (more demanding, described here).
In both cases it must be taken into account that the elevation gain is everything but negligible (+ 565m) due to two main factors: the trail follows faint traces and there are numerous passages on sheer rock.
The Via Ferrata degli Angeli is characterized by continuous shifts between scrambling sections (easy climbing) and sections protected by steel cables. There are almost no artificial steps along the trail so the progression takes place almost exclusively on rock.
The ideal seasons to climb it is spring while in the summer due to its extended exposure to the sun this route is definitely not recommended.
In order to reach the island you can get on a ferry from Porto San Paolo or rent a private boat.
• This excursion takes about 6 hours.
• Price per person starts from 65 € *
• The price includes the necessary technical equipment (helmet, harness, via ferrata set with energy dissipators, gloves)
• The price doesn’t include the cost of the sea transfer (ferry return ticket costs 16 euros)
• Possibility to book a private tour (1-3 participants)
* low season price (01-10/31-05), without intermediation, in a group of 6-8 people
N.B. Please keep in mind that Tavolara Island is a private property, therefore the organization of the excursion is subject to obtaining a permission of the owners.